“Somehow the meals taste great because it’s mom’s cooking.”
I’m sure most married women would have heard their husband’s brag about their mother’s food at some point in time. And if you are single, be sure that it’s just a matter of time before you hear these very words that can awaken deep unsettling feelings of anger, just like a dormant volcano that suddenly becomes active and erupts.
So here’s what most husband’s rant about when it comes to their mother’s food:
1. It tastes ok, but there’s something missing
When you hear him say that you can invariably see the eye roll movement which may either be in search of that missing ingredient in his head or to say “what a waste of my time”.
2. That was the best meal I’ve had in sometime
Yes, that happy smile on his face will get you thinking – “Did I seriously get married to this man-child?” And you can be sure that he will only say such things after a visit to his mom’s house.
3. My mother never used to add garam masala
And this he will tell you with so much conviction that you will seriously start doubting your cooking skills.
4. Where are the vegetables in this? My mom’s veg pulao has….veg…ok forget it
Yes, when this comment is made, you might just end up digging the curry and the fridge to see whether you did after all put the vegetables in the curry.
5. You made palak today? You should have told me, I would have had from my mom’s house
This one comment can make your ears whistle with steam like an engine, and you may feel all the anger swell up on your face. You will keep thinking and chanting in your head – why did you have to cook a healthy meal? Just to hear that ‘why!’
6. No one can cook like my mom
That is one thing no woman wants to hear. And by saying that you go way down in her list of favorites. Infact you just gain the number one spot on her hit list.
7. My mother makes the best biryani ever
All that salivating at the thought of his mom’s biryani will make you think – ‘seriously, why did I even try?”
8. You know what, mom’s sambhar looks as appetizing as it tastes
Does that mean to say your sambhar does not look like sambhar? What else does it look like?
9. Can’t you make that curry that mom makes? You haven’t taken the recipe?
When he asks you this question, you will start feeling as if you have committed a crime and a punishable offence at that.
10. When my mom used to cook, all my friends would come over for lunch
And that is a big lie, because his friends come over when you cook as well.
11. There’s nothing like ‘Ma ki dal’
When you hear him say this, you may suddenly start thinking whether it is a new dish after all, or just something that he was fed when he was sleeping.
12. She knew exactly what to give and when to give, and that would be my favorite
Yeah, by saying this the competition becomes fiercer, and you start researching on your husband through all sources possible to know what his favorites actually are.
13. Mom had magic in her hands
And if you had any doubts as to what is in your hands, he will very nicely tell you that you are a magician but his mom had magic in her hands (Please spot the difference here!)
14. I’ve had better
When he shrugs his shoulder and tells you that, it’s like the final nail in the coffin. You may think of punching him or giving him the silent treatment. (Yes, no talking till he comes to his senses, and of course no food!)
Image Source: giphy.com