Anulom Vilom Pranayam is also known as Nadi Shodhana Pranayama or alternate nostril breathing. By the practice of Anulom Vilom Pranayam, the whole nervous system is cleansed and toned.
1. Close your eyes and relax. Sit in this position for a couple of minutes till you settle down.
2. Close your right nostril with your right thumb and inhale slowly through the left nostril. Fill up your lungs to the maximum capacity.
3. Hold your breath.(Do not hold breath initially for 2- 3 months, practice only inhalation and exhalation). Do not hold breath at all if you are suffering from hypertension, asthma.
4. Now close left nostril with middle and ring finger and exhale through the right nostril very slowly and rhythmically. Here you will return to its original position and toxic air is released into the atmosphere.
5. Inhale again through the right nostril.
6. Exhale again through the left nostril.
Steps from 1-6 are called one set of the Anulom Vilom Pranayam. Repeat it gradually for as long as possible. With practice, your inhaling and exhaling time will increase as you will start breathing more deeply, breath will become more smooth.
Anulom Vilom Pranayam can be practiced for as long as one desires and has time for. While doing Anulom Vilom Pranayam one should concentrate on and enjoy each and every breath (while inhaling and exhaling). This pranayam not only helps in improving overall health but it also helps in freeing the mind from any tension or worries.
It is important that you breathe deep into your lungs and not into the stomach (Expand your chest to fill in the air, not your stomach).
Yogic asanas and Pranayam have immense benefit on the whole body and soul. Anulom Vilom Pranayam in particular helps in the following ways:
1. Cleans up and tones up the entire nervous system.
2. It is also beneficial in migraine and chronic sinus problems.
3. It strengthens the heart. Improves blood circulation and breathing capacity.
4. Practice of Anulom Vilom Pranayam removes mental tension and worries.
5. The face becomes bright, luminous and calm.
6. It maintains the functioning of digestive system and cures all the stomach ailments/ diseases.
7. It can prevent hereditary diseases like diabetes and heart problem.
8. It is helpful in contemplation and also gives the strength to meditate for several hours.
9. It keeps the mind calm, peaceful and cheerful and helps in overcoming depression.
1. Do Pranayam preferably in the morning with an empty stomach.
2. If you prefer to do Pranayam in the evening, do it on an empty stomach and keep a gap of at least 5 hours between your meal and Pranayam.
3. Those who cannot sit in Asanas can sit on the chair and do Pranayam.