is the one among world's most expensive spice. It derives its name from an arabic word Zafran. Saffron is termed as a golden spice mostly because it is precious spice with numerous health benefits.
It is used in cooking to add an exotic aroma and spice to food, saffron has the quality of turning any dish into a real special one!
You can buy saffron either as as unprocessed stigmas (called saffron threads) or powdered. The threads should be red with orange tips. Threads lacking orange tips may be dyed, hence it should be avoided.
Powdered saffron, is easier to use, since it can be added directly to a dish, while the threads need to be immersed in hot water first.Apart from its culinary use, saffron has numerous health benefits:
- It is used for the improvement of digestion and appetite.
- It is used for treating cough.
- It is found to be extremely beneficial for providing relief from gas and acidity related problems.
- Helps in curing Insomnia (a pinch of saffron taken with warm milk in the nite helps curing insomnia).
- It is used to cure spitting up of blood.
- It is a very popular answer to many skin problems, like dry skin, enhancing and lightening the skin tone etc.
- It is used for the treatment of kidney, bladder and liver disorders. It helps in improving circulation to the organs of digestion.
- It helps in treating various disorders like asthma, atherosclerosis, painful menstrual periods and even depression.
- Saffron is considered as a blood purifier and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It helps in relieving inflammation of arthritis also with providing relief from joint pains.
- Massaging the gums with saffron helps in reducing soreness and inflammation of the mouth and the tongue.
- It is recommend to use of saffron during pregnancy as the herb possess the property of raising the body temperature.
- Provides relief from low back pain.
- It is an antioxidant and has anti-cancerous properties.
- A number of people also believe that it is a potent aphrodisiac - that probably explains the kesar milk that is a part of the wedding night ritual.
- Saffron is also said to have anti-tumor properties.
- Saffron being a blood purifier helps in increasing the oxygen content of the blood thereby aiding in the overall health and well being of a person.